Friday, October 21, 2022

A Quick Trip to Pompey’s

October 21, 2022

There is no question that the weather is changing.  It was cooler this morning and barely any blue sky.  With rain predicted for tomorrow and 1-3 inches of snow on Sunday I knew that today was my last chance to get out for a ride for a few days but I had to get a few things out of the way first.

Getting some laundry underway followed by doing the grocery shopping came first and a good thing to do early.  Then I worked on my mosaic a bit, getting it grouted.  Then it was up to Zimmerman Park with the dog for a 2-3 mile run.  A bit more work on the mosaic came next and I think it’s proceeding nicely.  I am doing “the Four Season” on the foundation wall on the north side of my garage with 5-feet devoted to each season.  I’ve had winter done for a while and now have spring completed.


We dig some fertilizing and weed killing application at the other house ahead of the incoming rain and then it was time to ride.

I wanted a different direction that heading south and I wanted to be back in an hour and half so I headed off to Pompey’s Pillar.  The park is closed this time of year but walk-ins are allowed.  My plan was to ride out there, check out the picnic area adjacent to the gate and then ride back.

I went through Billings Heights, avoiding Main Street by taking Bitterroot which turns out is under construction.  I had to detour on Hawthorne for a ways but eventually got out to Mary Street and headed on past Dover Park.  Hwy 312 to Pompey’s is about 30 miles and straight a road as you will find.  There was not much traffic and I just relaxed and cruised until about 5 miles from Pompey’s when a strong cross wind from the north came up.  The temperature dropped from 66 to 60 degrees and it really looked like fall.

I pulled into the picnic area and park the bike.  It’s pretty small but covered by large trees.  I guess this is a place hunters use because there was a sign for hunter check in and a notice that hunting wasn’t allowed until November 1st to protect public safety.  OK.

I took advantage of the stop to put my thermal liner in my jacket and change out to my heavier gloves.  Then I shot some pictures.




That’s Pompey’s Pillar in the center background of that bottom photo.

I headed back but turned a quarter mile along the way onto Bundy Road.  There is a bridge across the Yellowstone River here and a chance to see Pompey’s Pillar from the west, from outside the park.  With fall colors around, I wanted to take a look.


Looking west on the river.


Here’s the old bridge.


And, of course, some motorcycle pictures.




The ride back was quick and I got home before Friday afternoon traffic became an issue.

About 75 miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 16

May 16, 2024 This was the least happening day of the trip and certainly not that fun.  I suppose that it’s my own fault for the route planni...