Wednesday, October 19, 2022

A Quick Trip to Fromberg

October 19, 2022

I keep hearing that our weather is going to change so I’m trying to get as much riding in as I can.  Today was busy with a trip to the gym, some chores at the computer, and an outing with the dog.  We hiked along the Yellowstone River and he got to do some swimming.



I did manage to get the bike out at 2:20pm.  I headed west on my usual route with the goal to go check out a few things in Fromberg.  The ride was great as the temperature was in the mid-70s and there was no wind.  Traffic was really light and I just cranked up the tunes and relaxed.

When I got to Fromberg I I took the road that goes behind the high school which becomes the Fromberg-Joliet Road.  I was looking for fall colors, saw some, but was intrigued by the new paving on the road.  I followed it for a mile or two until it ended and gravel took over.  Time for some photos.




I looped back through the Main Street of the town, crossed the highway, and headed east to the Bridger-Fromberg Road.  I’ve ridden this several times but today I was mainly interested in the side road that goes to the Gebo Barn and whether I could ride my bike on it.  When I got there, a pickup and another truck pulling a horse trailer were blocking the road and I couldn’t ascertain the road condition without making a commitment and turning on to it around those other vehicles.  I decided to keep going on the road I was on and then come back.  Photo opportunities presented themselves.





I got almost to Bridger and crossed the railroad tracks where I decided to turn around.  I was just in time to watch a couple of trucks that travel on the rail, convert themselves to regular trucks.




I remembered that there was a serious derailment just south of here a few weeks ago and they must be oart of the crew working on that.

I headed back toward Fromberg the way I’d come and stopped for a photo or two.




These guys didn’t want to hang out with me.


The Gebo Barm is just across those fields.


The barn was a big deal when it was built in the early 1900s.  Read more about it here.  I think I’ll come back in a car and bring my drawing tools.  It looks like a great subject.

I took my time, and mostly backroads, the rest of the way home.  It was a relaxing way to spend the afternoon.

About 105 miles for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 16

May 16, 2024 This was the least happening day of the trip and certainly not that fun.  I suppose that it’s my own fault for the route planni...