Sunday, June 27, 2021

Quick ride to Harlowton

June 25, 2021

We had some great weather so after a morning run, yard work, etc. it was time to get out on the 2-lanes roads for some fun.  The plan was to ride to Harlowton from Billings, along the Mussellshell River, and then head south and find the town of Melville for no other reason than I'd not been there before.

I headed out and it was perfect.  Beautiful skies, hardly anyone else on the road, and no wind.  I did a quick stop in Lavina to put my ear plus in before heading west on Highway 12.




When I got to Ryegate I had to stop for a photo because one of my good running buddies is from there and I wanted to text her the picture (when I was back to where there was cell service.)


As I got closer to Harlowton I saw dark clouds building up ahead.  I stopped at the rest area and after using the facilities I check my weather app and it said rain was starting in 3 minutes.  




I was trying to decided whether to chance it and continue on but as I was donning my gear 3 minutes later the raindrops started and the wind picked up.  I figured that Melville was a ride for another day, saddled up, and headed back east the way I had come.  

Since the temperature had dropped at the rest area, I had pulled on a long-sleeve shirt which quickly became too warm so I stopped in a picturesque pull out to take it off and grab a few photos.




I really like this section of Highway 12 with the rimrocks on one side and the Mussellshell river on the other.  I had to stop for a few more pictures.



When I got to Lavina I took a little break and parked in front of the old bank.


The rest of the ride was fine.  As the day went along I noticed lots more RVs going past in the other direct.  It's Friday getaway time so that shouldn't be a surprise.










No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 20

What a beautiful morning at Guernsey Lake State Park in Wyoming.  Well, it was after the rain let up.  This is a gorgeous park with 13 diffe...