Wednesday, June 23, 2021

New gear checkout ride

June 23, 2021

I got some new gear this week so I had to take a ride to test it out.  What I got was:

- Tourmaster Draft 4 mesh jacket
- Coleman tank bag
- Rok Straps
- Sedici cooling vest

The jack is Hi-Viz yellow and came with a removable waterproof liner.  The fit is great.  

The tank bag was inexpensive, about $33, so compared to others, which run from $100-200, it's a good deal.  It's small but has magnetic attachment, a rain hood, a bunch of pockets inside, a carrying handle, and a clear plastic top which is removable by undoing snaps and velcro.  I wasn't sure I wanted a tank bag but when I heard about this one I thought the price was too good to pass up and decided give a try.  I like it.  I can keep my small water bottle, a hat, and other items I want easy access to without having to get into the saddle bags.

The Rock straps seem like the way to go rather than bungee cords but I haven't figured out the right way to attach them yet.  For now I am using one as a tether for the tank bag.

The cooling vest was another impulse buy.  I read lots of good reviews and they sound like a simple solution to riding in the summer heat.  The vest is placed in cool water for a minute of two and then it's worn under the mesh jacket.  It retains lots of the water and stays cool by evaporation.  On today's ride it worked just fine.  I really gave it a soak and by the time I got back my shirt and pants were wet.  I think I'll wring it out a bit next time.




The ride was out to the Chief Joseph memorial, and then down to Laurel, through town, and back east on River/Theil Road.  I had it all to myself.  When I got to Duck Creek Road, I turned right and went down a quarter mile to Fritz and drove up to the top for some photos.  I ran that hill yesterday morning.  Lots easier on the bike.









No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 16

May 16, 2024 This was the least happening day of the trip and certainly not that fun.  I suppose that it’s my own fault for the route planni...