Wednesday, September 9, 2026

2026 PNW Trip 2 - Day 3

September 9, 2026

It was a nice night, rather-wise, but sort of tough sleeping.  My air mattress deflated so I was on the hard ground.  I actually slept OK but I woke up a lot when I needed to turn over.  About 6am I grabbed my Kindle and read for a while before getting dressed and going out for a hike.

I first went south through the campground to where the trail ran out and then went across the highway to a nature trail that has interpretive sign explaining the ecology of the area. Then I went back to the campground and hiked along the river for as far as I could go.  It was pleasant and woke me up.

I went through the usual morning routine and started getting packed up.  I did inflate my mattress and I think the valve thing might not have been closed.  It’s really difficult to operate.  I let it sit inflated for a while and then laid down on for a bit.  I think it did get softer.  I’m not going to try to do a repair.  Instead I’ll pick up a new one later today.

I was loaded up and on the road by 9:45.  The only issue is that I am still trying to figure out why my dash can unit has trouble connecting to the phone for CarPlay.  I can certainly ride without it but having the map thing on the screen when going through a city is handy as it prompts where the turn is going to be.  

I rode Hwy 410 and enjoyed some nice twisties right away.



Then it was up to Chinook Pass.



Then it was past Mount Ranier.


When I got to Enumclaw. I pulled over to check the phone for messages and find where the nearest REI might be.  Luckily, it’s in Tacoma and right on the way.  I rode city streets for quite a while before getting on the freeway and taking it to the REI.  Traffic was what traffic is here.

At REI I looked through the various air mattresses and there is quite the range, feature and prices.  I like the one I have and found one like it, just the next model up.  Rolled up it’s one of the smallest and that is one thing I am looking for.

I got stuff rearranged on the bike, set the mapping software to Sequim and, surprisingly, the CarPlay worked.  Here’s the interchange I had to negotiate when I got going.


The ride was uneventful and once away from the city, the traffic eased up.

I went over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.


A while later it was over the Hood Canal Floating Bridge.


I arrived a bit after 3pm, stopped for gas.  I must have been getting tired because rounding a corner not far from my mom's place I thought I was going to drop the bike.



I got settled in to my mom’s place and grabbed a shower before we went down to the chow hall for dinner.  We ate with the usual suspects, including Jo who is 102.

Afterwards were entertained by the Olympic Singers, a groups about 20 women who sang an assortment of mostly patriot songs.

It was a 197 mile day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2026 PNW Trip 2 - Table of Contents

Day 1 - September 7, 2026 - Billings to Jerry Johnson Campground Day 2 - September 8, 2026 - Jerry Johnson Campground to Sawmill Flats Day 3...