September 8, 2026
It rained a bit overnight but I slept through most of it, sleeping better than I have in a while. A day’s riding helps.
I woke up about 6am and read until 7 when I started the morning routine. First i did a walk around the campground loop and saw there was now another camper, in a car, a few sites from the RV. They came in late.
For breakfast, I added hot water to what I had for dinner last night, mushroom fettucini, and a cup of cocoa. Then it was gathering up the gear, patching away the tent, and the other tasks related to getting on the road.
I took my time. Before going I download a few video files from my dash cam that I will go back and insert on the blog later. It’s complicated editing them and posting just using my iPad tethered to my phone.
I did another walk around the loop and talked to the guy who does maintenance at all the sites was in the marines and now bounces between this and a firefighter, the wildfire type. I had him explain what the train was for that and it sounds interesting but quite physical. No, I am not planning on signing up.
A couple photos from this morning before I left.
I was on the road by 10am and it was gorgeous out, about 60 degrees and no wind. I really enjoy having twisty roads for breakfast.
I don’t have any details to add as I headed for my first stop in Kamiah. Just outside of town I stopped at the Nez Perce national monument, the founding location of the tribe.
I got gas at my usual spot in Kamiah, the Sinclair station that has the annoying ads blasting from the dispenser. I got gas at someplace else but I like their tables alongside the store. I parked there and shed some layers, changed my clothes.and checked messages on my phone.
I buzzed along the Clearwater River, keeping my eye on the odometer. When it changed to 59,000 miles, there was nowhere to pull off so it added a mile by the time I could grab a photo.
That’s a lot of miles since April of 2021.
The next stop was Pomeroy, WA for gas.
This is my usual stop for lunch too. They have a nice city park with tables under a shelter so I ate an apple and a bread roll while I posted yesterday’s blog entry.
When I got back on the road I set the navigation software to tonight’s campground, Sawmill Flats, and told it to take the quickest route. On I went on Hwy 12 and when I got close to Lyon Ferry Bridge, it turned me south instead of north. I had never gone this way and it was pretty cool. It climbed a bit.
Then it was 20 miles across wheat fields and past grain elevators, like this one.
Eventually I got on the freeway, I-82, and rode that to Yakima where I gassed up before heading the 40 miles to the campground. The freeway was a bore but I had to stay on top of my game dealing with passing and being passed.m
When I arrived at the campground I did the loop and saw the it was completely unoccupied. Many sites had “Reserved” noticed but they were all for later in the week. I looked the place over and selected the best site, for me, and it’s the same one I stayed in a few years ago, SIte #17. It’s big, a little bit of a walk-in, but right on the river.
It’s dark now and so I’ll heat up some dinner, Mac and Cheese, and then settle down for a bit of reading.
It was a 411 mile day.
No comments:
Post a Comment