Sunday, December 10, 2023

Another last ride of the year….

December 10, 2023

Looking ahead it doesn’t look like there will be a “White Christmas” this year in Billings, Montana so some will just have to be satisfied with dreaming of one.  The weather continues to be dry and sort of warm so, again, I got the bike out for another ride.

I talked to three motorcycle friends and all three were unable to ride today so I took off on my own.  It was in the mid-40s when I left at 12:01pm with a bit of a breeze.  I was prepared.  I had on a turtle-neck t-shirt, another shirt, a sweat shirt, and my cold weather jacket with its liner in.  On the bottom I had my Levi’s and over those my riding pants with their liner in.  Two pairs of wool socks in my boots and my cold weather gauntlet gloves rounded out my layers and with the grip heaters turned up I never felt chilled.

I did the west end route to Laurel and worked my way to Hwy 310 in Rockvale where I headed south.  I passed through Fromberg and Bridger and took the turnoff on Hwy 72 to Belfry.  Traffic was very light and I saw no other motorcycles.  Wimps!

In Belfry I turned right on Hwy 308 which took me to Bearcreek.  Just outside of the village I stopped at the Smith Mine Disaster site where an explosion killed over 70 workers in 1943.




I rode into Red Lodge and stopped in a new parking area that was created as part of the flood remediation from the mess they had a couple years ago.  Notice that there is a bit of snow on the ground.



I stopped in front of the courthouse for a few photos.




The ride back was mostly uneventful.  Somewhere between Roberts and Joliet some dumbass came past me doing about 85 (I was going 70) and to avoid a head on collision with another car he had to cut in front of me.  I anticipated his stupidity and was already on the brakes.

I stopped for gas a mile from home (no alcohol premium for winter storage).  3 gallons for 3 hours.  Pretty cheap entertainment.


141 miles.  Still short of that 30K mark.








No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 16

May 16, 2024 This was the least happening day of the trip and certainly not that fun.  I suppose that it’s my own fault for the route planni...