Thursday, September 15, 2022

2022 Adventure - Day 4 - To Sequim

September 14, 2022

This was a shorter ride day than the past three but had new experiences along the way.

I got up just as it was getting light and took advantage of the showers at the campground.  I had breakfast, got loaded up, and set my navigation tool for the Blaine post office.  It was a 15 minute ride through the countryside before getting into town.  

Along the way I went through a residential neighborhood and saw a few of these “traffic calming devices.”  We need one on my street back in Billings.


I made it to the post office and got my photo.  Blaine is one of the “Four Corners” and since I visited the northeast one in Madawaska, Maine last summer I wanted to check this off the list.  Two down, two to go.


My next stop is the Peace Arch Historical State Park.  This straddles the border between the U.S.  and Canada and is unique in that citizens from both sides can meet there but have to stay in the park and return to their own country.  Border patrol is on site to make sure the rules are followed.

Getting there was an adventure.  I put the park into the Google map thingy and its voice in my helmet got me near there but something was wrong.  At the last moment I was able to u-turn before I ended up at the border crossing.  I looked at the map and it was taking me to the park but on the Canadian side.  I figured out how to get there on my own.

I parked and was looking at the kiosk where you can pay the day use fee and one of the groundskeepers stopped by and told me that if I was only doing a quick look, I didn’t have to pay.  We chatted a while and he told me all the rules about the border crossing and how things worked.  We also chatted about traveling and when I told him that I was taking a ferry to get to Sequim, a border officer was walking by and stopped to join the conversation.  Both asked if I had a ferry reservation because without one I might not get across.  Hmmm.  Thanks, I’ll look into that.  

In the meantime, I walked around the park and went to the Arch which straddles the actual border.  Signs are set up telling Americans they cannot cross to the Canadian side.  This is due to Covid restrictions.  Vaccinations and a such are required so crossing the line has to be at an official gate.



There Canadian entry point:


The view west:



Before leaving I got online and looked at ferry issues.  It appears that the one from Edmond is already booked for the day.  The one that goes to Port Townsend was closer but I couldn’t figure out how to reserve a spot or if they were full.  I just decided to head there and see what happens.  Since I might not have time on my side, I grabbed the slab, Interstate 5, and headed south, about 40 miles.  This route took me about half the length of Whidbey Island to Fort Casey and the ferry terminal.

I arrived and it seemed pretty quiet.  I pulled up to the toll gate and the attendant asked “do you have a reservation?”  No. “Are you a senior?” Yes.  “”$5.20.  Pull into Lane 6.  It will be here after 1 pm.” 

That was it.  I had read on a motorcycle blog that bikes usually don't need a reservation as they can squeeze them on with no trouble.   I pulled into Lane 6 and was the first one in line with a semi-truck with a trailer on my right and an RV on my left.  A few minutes later I was joined by a guy riding a BMW, a smaller one, I think, a 350.  He lives in the area and was out for a day ride.  He was about 50 and said he’d only been riding for about 2 years.  Then we were joined my 3 more bikes: a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and 2 mid-80s BMW RS models.  All three were riding together from British Columbia and were older than me so you know they are old.  

We had a good time chatting about bikes, travels, and our licensing.  They were surprised that I get permanent registration in Montana on a new bike.  







We were joined by another BMW, the new K-1600, ridden by a younger guy.



The ferry arrived and the passengers, cars, and trucks disembarked.


Motorcycles load first and I was directed to head out and they routed me to the front of the ferry with the other bikes right behind me.  We parked and hung out together while the ferry got everything else loaded and got underway.  It was cool and breezy but pretty pleasant over all.  The water was smooth.






The trip is a little over 30 minutes so I had time to walk around and have a self-guided tour.  There are many levels to explore.









We were getting closer to Port Townsend.  






I rode off without incident and got on the highway, following signs for Port Angeles since I knew that would take me by my destination for the day, Sequim, where my sister lives.  I arrived there and called it day.

Short mileage for the day, 138 miles, but lots of fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 20

What a beautiful morning at Guernsey Lake State Park in Wyoming.  Well, it was after the rain let up.  This is a gorgeous park with 13 diffe...