Sunday, April 3, 2022

Pompeys - Custer - Hardin Loop

April 3, 2022

It was a pretty nice day and after I finished up installing art for my upcoming show I hit the road.  I had a rough idea of where I wanted to go and figured I’d sort out the details along the way.

I left about 1:15pm on the road out through Billings Heights, taking the Bitterroot-Dover route to get to Hwy 312 and avoiding the mess that Main Street can be.  I saw a bunch of Harleys ahead of me (I could tell they were Harleys because I could hear them) and they were meeting up at Dover Park.  I went past them and headed northeast on Hwy 312 to Pompeys Pillar.  This is a good route, all 2-lane, and once past Worden there are rarely any other vehicles.  I stopped across from the monument to get a sweatshirt on under my jacket.  While it was in the mid-50s, I was feeling chilled.  Time for a photo or two.




I got on the frontage road and took that to the small town of Custer. There is a nice hill with some curves on that route but places to safely pull off for photos are limited but I did grab these two.



There are a few options at this point.  One that I have done several times is to get on Pease Bottom Road and take that to Hysham.  Another is to head to Melstone but I think a large section of that road is yet to be paved.  Today I wanted to head south toward Hardin but took a few pictures before leaving Custer.




The road out of town looks promising.


However, the twisty part is pretty short and I am quickly on top of the prairie.  After a few miles I connect with Hwy 47 that will take me south to Hardin.  It’s a nice 2-lane road and in pretty good condition.  Although it is mostly straight, it did curve through some rimrocks that had interesting formations.




Some miles north of Hardin, I pulled over to check out the Grant Marsh Wildlife Management Area.  I needed a break and wanted to shoot some pictures so I parked and did a short hike.



The Big Horn River runs past here and I walked to where a tributary goes past.



It was quiet and beautiful BUT I can tell you that the ticks have come out of their winter hibernation.

I got to Hardin and pulled over to look at my map because it was decision time.  I’ve wanted to explore the road from Hardin to Pryor which, from what I can tell on Google maps satellite view, is paved but it is nearly 4:30pm so the day is slipping away.  The issue is that I’d be heading west into the low sun and that is not how I want to check out that road.  I’ve had a good ride so why push it?  I still have the Lockwood twisties up ahead so there is plenty to look forward to on this route so away I went on Old Hwy 87.

It’s a straight ride for the most part and a matter of setting the cruise control and just letting the miles goes by.  At one point I saw an animal cross the road ahead of me, maybe 500 yards or so.  At first I thought it was a dog because I’d had seen some dogs running loose in Hardin but as I got closer I realized it wasn’t a dog.  A fox?  No, this animal had a very distinct feline form to its gate.  As I got closer I could see that it had crossed to road into a prairie dog neighborhood and was clearly a cougar of some kind.  

A bit farther up the road I pulled over for my final pictures of the day to record what the terrain looked like on this route.




I successfully negotiated the twisties into Lockwood and got past the usual mess that is traffic around Billings Metra fairgrounds and arrived at home at 5:27pm with 150.2 miles for the day.




1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good safe ride! Nothing better than being on a motorcycle. I know it would add a layer of work, but would it be possible to add a map of your routes for those of us who don’t know the area?

    ReplyDelete

2024 Trip 1 - Day 16

May 16, 2024 This was the least happening day of the trip and certainly not that fun.  I suppose that it’s my own fault for the route planni...