Friday, March 25, 2022

Lavina, Harlowton, and Big Timber Loop

March 25, 2022

With reasonably good weather and NO WIND, it was a good day to get out and do a longer ride.  I did errands in the morning, went to the gym for lap swimming at noon, and headed out on the bike a bit after 1pm.  I wasn’t sure how far I was going to go so I decided to just ride to Lavinia and decide from there.  The ride out Highway 3 was great as there was hardly any other traffic, not that it is ever much of a traffic problem.  I got to Lavina and stopped for a photo.


It felt pretty good so when I got to Highway 12, I headed west for a nice ride along the Musselshell River.  There are lots of farms and ranches along this route, squeezed between the river and the rimrocks.  Every once in a while I’d grab a glimpse of the Snowy Mountains to the north.

Right before Harlowton is a rest area and I pulled in for a break.  I also wanted to put the thermal liner in my jacket.  I had on a long sleeve t-shirt and a sweatshirt but still had a chill and the liner would take care of that.  I shot this photo at the stop, looking south toward the Crazy Mountains.


I pulled on to the main drag in Harlowton and shot these two photos.



My choice now was to go back the way I had come or head a few miles up the road and grab Highway 191 south to Big Timber.  I did the latter.  This road is a 2-lane that must be on a section line because it is straight as can be for over 30 miles.  About halfway to Big Timber I pull over to document an event:  the bike turned over 13,000 miles. While taking that photo I shot a few more:



Those are the Beartooth Mountains in the photo above.


And those are the Crazy Mountains.

And the road ahead…


The ride in to Big Timber is uneventful but the road does get curvy for the final couple of miles.  I stopped for the final photo of the day in front of their courthouse.


When I got home I’d ridden 225 miles for the day.  I filled with gas and my calculation indicates almost 50 miles to the gallon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 16

May 16, 2024 This was the least happening day of the trip and certainly not that fun.  I suppose that it’s my own fault for the route planni...