Sunday, October 17, 2021

A Ride to Molt and Laurel

October 17, 2021

The weather today looked fantastic.  A great day to take off on a long ride BUT, I have an art history assignment that is going to take some time to finish up, have to pick my wife up from the airport, and then attend a Run Turkey Run planning meeting.  I have to take advantage of the weather but which toy gets to go?


I decide on the motorcycle and got it out from where it’s been sitting awaiting the snow to clear and the weather to improve.  It had gas and the tire pressures were good so I headed west on Rimrocks Road and headed out of town.  

Going up the big hill after leaving Echo Canyon was pretty windy but it seemed to calm down a little once I was on the road straight in to Molt.  I stopped at the end of the pavement for a few photos.




I turned around and headed back east a few miles and turned on Buffalo Trail Road and headed south.  Just a mile or two along the way I pulled over for another couple pictures.



Buffalo Trail is a nice curvy road that descends through a broad canyon (or is it a valley) past some ranchettes.  


After it exits the rimrocks it continues south to the city of Laurel.  Just as it gets to town it goes past the Yellowstone National Cemetery.  I pulled in for a look.  I’d been here once before but I remember it was in the pouring rain so this time I took my time to look around.  It’s small but really well-done.  I suppose I could end up here, collecting my final veterans benefit, but I’m not sure that I want to spend eternity in Montana. 



I continued south and went through Laurel and turned east on Thiel Road and followed it to Duck Creek.  I am more than familiar with this road as it is the location of the State Games’ 5K, 10K, and half-marathon race courses.  My wife and I mark the mile splits on the road every year before the race so I know every turn and bump along the way.  I headed north and caught Shilo Road back home.

It was a 63-mile ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 20

What a beautiful morning at Guernsey Lake State Park in Wyoming.  Well, it was after the rain let up.  This is a gorgeous park with 13 diffe...