Thursday, May 13, 2021

Seat pad - Version 1

May 13, 2021:  

Among FJR owners, I have seen very few comments that extol the virtues and comfort of the stock seat.  This has created a market for replacement seats which go for $300 to $700 and even those seats are met with dissatisfaction from some.  After doing my recent 200-mile ride, I can say that the seat does have its limitations.  The key is to take breaks and give the backside a rest, not a bad idea even with the most comfortable seat.

But, I do want to improve the comfort and do so without first wading in to the custom seat world.  There are a few seat pads available featuring everything from memory foam to gel to air and some people seem to like those.  Since I do own an industrial sewing machine (Juki DDL-555), and since I have sewn up some automobile interiors, and since I do have a stockpile of random foam and vinyl, I thought I'd make my own seat pad.

I checked my inventory and while I was set on most items, I could use a bit of foam.  I bought a 24"x24" piece of high density foam from Walmart for a few bucks and, while shopping at the grocery store, I noticed a "close-out" on yoga mats for less than $5 so I picked up one of those.  The black vinyl I pulled out was what I used to use to blacken the windows in my old darkroom in California about 35-40 years ago.  Ah, the benefits of being a hoarder.

I started by experimenting with the layers of foam, seeing what felt good but didn't add excessive height.  I ended up making a paper pattern using the seat as a guide and marking that up on a piece of foam.  Then I used my Black and Decker electric carving knife to shape the foam to the pattern.




I used spray adhesive to attach other pieces of foam to get the shape I wanted and then covered it all with a piece of the yoga mat.



I then sewed up a muslin bag to put the foam assembly in.


Next I built the vinyl exterior shell.  I made a paper pattern and the cut top piece out.  I measured the length of the 2 sides and the front and cut out a strip of vinyl for that.  I sewed them together using a French fell seam to get the side to make a right angle.  For the rear riser I made a separate piece and sewed that to the rear of the top and added a flap that would go over the back.

Next I made the bottom piece.  I wanted a way to attach the pad to the seat that was removable and I thought about hooks but after looking at the seat pan I figured I could sew on straps that connected with elastic.  That way it would hook to the original upholstery and would be self-adjusting as the seat closed down on it.




Then I sewed to top and bottom together and added some extra pieces to the sides that I should had included in the pattern.  To add a closure that would let me take the padding out, I thought about a zipper but then I saw a box of Velcro I'd bought for another project and used that.  It had an adhesive backing so I didn't even need to sew it on.


I tried it on the bike and it fits pretty well and feels good. It will get a test ride tomorrow.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 19

May 19, 2024 What a day, or I should say “night.”  It started with a little thunder and few drops of rain about 1 am and worked itself up to...