Thursday, September 17, 2026

2026 PNW Trip 2 - The Wrap Up

September 17, 2026

Here’s a summary of the trip:

Total miles ridden; 2,336
Longest day: 436 miles, Day 1, Billings to 1st night camp
Shortest day; about 170 miles in British Columbia
Days traveling: 10. 8 riding, 2 visiting
Nights camping out: 5
Number of gas stops: 14
Total gas used: 46.965 gallons
Total cost of gas: $231.27
Average miles per gallon: 49.73
Most expensive gas: Sequim, WA at $5.59/gallon
Cost of campsites: about $75 and 2 were free
Cost of riding the ferry, round trip: $108.00
Total cost of trip (gas, lodging, ferry): about $420.00

Interesting, the cost of gas’s per mile was about the same as last May’s trip even though the price per gallons were different.  Also, I think that my miles per gallon was lower that usual due to the head wind I rode against for most of the first day.  The bike indicated it was getting about 35 miles to the gallon that day.

The highlight of the trip was the side trip to Canada.  I had done quite a bit of research and knew what to do and what to expect and everything clicked.  Showing up early for the ferry does cause some waiting but then there are no hassles rushing for the last minute.  Getting the bike secured was no problem with the ropes they provided and I didn’t need the tie-down I had brought.  I have read that on some ferries you are expected to have your own.  Going through immigration and customs was no problem and only took a moment or two.  The Canadian always seem friendly when doing this and the Americans act like they are about to demand a strip search.  Macho men.

My gear all worked well except for the issue with the air mattress but the stop at REI solved that.  I’ll inflate the old one and see if it actually has a leak or is an issue with the valve.  While I have no problem blowing up a mattress, deflating for repacking is a hassle and I am considering getting one of those little inflated things like we have with our car camping gear.  The only issue I have is the noise they make.  They are annoying in a campground and the frequency tweaks my hearing issue.  But, they can suck all the air out of a mattress.

I am thinking about changing the way my clothes satchel straps to the bike.  Right now I use RokStraps that attach to the bike’s frame and pull over the bag.  This makes accessing the bag on the road a pain.  I might design something that straps from underneath.  The small backpack that I carry on top of it is very handy but a hassle to attach to the bike’s frame.  I may switch it out for a small dry bag of sorts.  

I am always considering how the sleeping bag straps on.  It sits between and above the clothes satchel and the tent and tends to push the satchel forward.  I need an engineering solution for that one.

If I gave up camping and just stayed in motels and ate my meals out I could fit what I needed in my side cases.  I am probably not going to be doing that.

It was a great trip.  I couldn’t ask for better weather.  I had a very slight drizzle for a few minutes the day I eft Sequim and that was it.  Even that first day where I had to sit out a storm in Ryegate, I stayed dry.  The real downside was the heavy wind that day.    Riding in a heavy crosswind is, IMO, the worse.  I know that physics informs me that the bike will stay on the road, but it’s tiring fighting against it and getting shaken but frequent gusts.

This will be last ride to the PNW for this year.  Next year I might want to wait until later in the season, perhaps into June so I can riding a northern route across the Cascades.  Riding through central Washington has gotten old and I’ve varied the routes as much as I can.  I’ve done the Cascades once in each direction and I want to do it again.  However, it can easily add an extra day.

What can I say about this motorcycle other than it checks every box for performance and reliability.  It handles great in every condition and will get up and go when needed.  

So, that’s it for the westbound trips.  There might be another long ride to the east before the season ends but that is only at the discussion level right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2026 PNW Trip 2 - The Wrap Up

September 17, 2026 Here’s a summary of the trip: Total miles ridden; 2,336 Longest day: 436 miles, Day 1, Billings to 1st night camp Shortes...