Saturday, September 21, 2024

The 2024 PNW Ride - Day 8

September 18, 2024


It was cold overnight and I was just barely warm enough.  When I got up I checked the temperature and my bike indicated that it was 41°, definitely brisk.  I made some hot cocoa, put it my thermos, and decided to start the day with a hike.  I looped the campground and looked up and down Hwy 20.





I retraced my steps from yesterday’s hike to the washed out bridge and took a few photos.




I went back on the paved trail a bit and took the dirt trail.  




It follows the river but climbs high on the hillside about it.  I was curious about how it crossed the river as the map indicated that it did.  I arrived at a wooden and cable bridge that I crossed to the other side.




The view from the bridge.



Rather than try the trail back on the other side of the river I went back the way I came.  There are small bridges along the way like this one.



I got my oatmeal started soaking and then got things packed up.



I put both my rain and thermal liner in my jacket and wore my heavier gloves as it felt icy once I got rolling.  I rode about 25 miles to Winthrop and by then, coming down from the mountains, I was too warm since the temperature had gone up about 35°.  I pulled into their library and pulled the liners out of my jacket and packed them and my heavy gloves into my bag.  I noticed that the library was getting solar installed.  I stopped for gas before leaving town.




I continued south on Hwy 20 and went through the town of Twisp.  Hwy 20 turned east and took me to Omak where I turned north on Hwy 97.  I rode that to just short of the border where I topped up my tank.  I pulled up to the border crossing and waited my turn.




I handed over my passport and got the usual questions: where was I going and why; how long would I be in the country; did I bring guns, alcohol, drugs, or any fresh fruit and vegetables.  I gave short answers and was handed back my passport and on my way in less than a minute.  


I went through the town of Osoyoos and got on Hwy 3 which would take me eastward across Canada.  I stopped at an overlook to get a better view of the city.





I took Hwy 3 east and it was a pleasant ride.  The roads are in great shape and the scenery is, of course, wonderful.  I stopped for gas along the way and got it in liters and Canadian dollars.  I have no idea what it cost as the credit card handles that heavy lifting.


I did have to figure out some math in my head while riding as the speed limits and curve suggestions are all in kilometers.  I figured that if I took the posted number, divided that by ten, and multiply that by 6 it would give me a close approximation.  This was based on knowing that 100 Km is about 60 mph.  It worked well enough.


I stopped for a photo or two along the way.  These were in Midway.




In Castlegar I stopped for some gas.



I continued on but it was getting late.  I didn’t want to rush leaving this morning and thought that after riding the ferry that I’d make good enough time to get to the campground at Surveyors Lake well before dark.  However, as the day went on, it started looking like an after-dark arrival.


I stopped for a few photos near Salmo. I was playing leap frog with a couple Harleys for a while.





I. Pulled into Creston and stopped to clean bugs off my visor.



Creston is a really nice town, one I’d like to go back to.  I continued on and it went from dusk to dark as I went through Cranbook.  I was here in the past and just remembered it was a typical medium-sized city.  It looks to have grown and has all the usual retail businesses found in the states, all lined up on Hwy 3 through town which is under construction the entire way.  They’d milled the road on the eastbound side so it was less than fun handling the bike on that and also avoiding raised manholes.


By the time I got to the Kikomun Creek Provincial Park it was dark and my high beam was really handy the last 15 miles or so.  I pulled up to the gate which was, of course, closed as it was almost 9pm.  I read the notices and it pretty much said to find a site with a green “Available” tag, take it, and a park person would come around at some point to take care of the registration.


I took site 25 which looked fine and was reasonably close to the restrooms which the map indicated had showers.  I dug out my headlamp and got the tent set up, loaded my gear into it, and made my dinner, sticky mango rice.  It was quite good.  All I’d had today was my breakfast oatmeal which I’d brought along and ate a bit every time I stopped.


It was a full moon and that provided lots of light.


It was a 449 mile day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 2024 PNW Ride - Day 10

September 20, 2024 I did a short hike after I got up to loosen things up but really laid around and read, taking my time as I was in no hurr...