Saturday, May 20, 2023

2023 Adventure 1 - Day 2

May 18, 2023

We had a fair amount of rain overnight and it got pretty chilly but I stayed warm enough and dry in my tent.  We got an early start, getting up about 6am and packing up our stuff, hitting the road at 7:10, 24-hours after we’d left the day before.  The big concern was the road into the camp site as it was pretty rough and lots of rain could have turned it into a slippery mess but it was fine and we got out to Hwy 191 without incident.


I was bundled up with a t-shirt, long sleeve t-shit, sweatshirt, and my mesh jacket with a rain liner.  I had on my Levis with my armored motorcycle pants over them so I started off warm enough.  However, down the road we hit a rain storm and my hands were cold, even with the grip heaters on.  We made a stop to check out the scenery and I dug out my cold weather gloves and that made all the difference.


Today’s ride was great.  Even though we were in and out of rainstorms, and even got hailed upon, the quality of the roads and the scenery made up for it.  We rode through several canyons with lots of twists and turns.  There were signs warning us of elk crossing and while we didn’t encounter any, we did see 4 dead ones along the roadside.


Along the way we stopped to check out the dam at Flaming Gorge.  We got to drive across the top of the dam since it’s actually Hwy 191.











Late in the day we decided we’d had about enough and were ready to find a campsite.  I used Google maps and saw that the Klondike Campground was the first we’d encounter on we rode south on 191 just north of Moab, UT so I put that into my navigation tool and off we went.  We got to the turn off and it turned out to be a washboard road for about 3 miles but the camping area is just fine.  It’s BLM but the sites are well defined.


We got set up and took a break, sipping on some beers we’d brought with us.  When we were setting up our tents, a guy from another site came over and said that we probably weren’t hauling ice on our bikes and gave a couple beers out of his fridge.  Great!






It was a 377 mile day.



More random photos from the dashcam.





And a couple short videos.






No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 16

May 16, 2024 This was the least happening day of the trip and certainly not that fun.  I suppose that it’s my own fault for the route planni...