Monday, April 24, 2023

Columbus - Sketch - Return

April 24, 2023

(More than just riding ahead…)

It was a busy morning and with such great weather I figured I deserved a bit of a ride when the chores were done.  I started the day with lap swimming at the pool, then made breakfast, worked on one of my drawings, mowed the lawn and fiddled with the fence at the other house, played flying disc with Bart the Dog, and then my wife and I cleared all the leaves from the rocks along the driveway and got them into the green barrel.  Whew!  I knew I’d be hungry when I’d return from the ride so I made dinner: crespelle, which is a stuffed Italian crepe. I made the crepes, then the filling (red beans, onion, spinach, and toasted cashews) and then the bechamel sauce.  A bit of sauce goes in the filling, then add filling to crepes, fold in half, and place in a baking dish.  Top with the remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.  Cover with foil and set aside.

As much as I wanted to ride, I was also in the mood to sit and sketch, a break from the detailed drawing I’m currently working on, so I geared up and headed for the town of Columbus.  I worked my west through a bunch of high numbered streets until I stopped at S. 80th St. and Hesper Road.  The land owner was burning ditches and I wanted to grab a photo of that operation so I pulled over to the side and got my phone out.





Just as I was ready to go, the breeze shifted and I was in the middle of a smoke screen.  I needed to head south so I proceeded slowly since the visibility was about zero.  I made it through but had to ride for the next 15 minutes or so with my visor open to air out my helmet.

I stopped up ahead a bit and shot a photo looking forward and back.



I stopped again to grab some random shots of the scenery.




I continued on through Laurel to Park City where I did a tour of the town, which doesn’t take very long, before heading on to Columbus.

There is a city park that runs along the Main Street in Columbus, opposite the old buildings, and I parked there, got out my sketchbook, and settled in on a park bench to draw the New Atlas Bar.  I’ve never been in there but I guess it has a reputation.  I remember seeing a long line of Harleys parked in front when I went past there a summer or two ago.

The weather was really nice and I suppose I there there for an hour or so, working on the drawing.


It was time to hit the road but grabbed a shot of the bike on the street.


On the way out of town I stopped at one of the pull-outs above the Yellowstone River.




I went back the way I’d come except that I turned north in Laurel and did the Buffalo Trail/Lipp Road/Grand Avenue/Rimrock route.

A pretty nice day and 97 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 16

May 16, 2024 This was the least happening day of the trip and certainly not that fun.  I suppose that it’s my own fault for the route planni...