Wednesday, September 28, 2022

The Big Northern Wyoming Loop

September 28, 2022

No, the 2,700 mile trip I returned from last week did not fully scratch my riding itch.  Aside from not logging as many miles over the summer as I might have, our seasons are changing and it won’t be long before the bike gets put away for the winter.  (Full disclose: I rode it at least once each month last year.)   This encouraged me to pick a day to get out for another long ride.

I looked at the weather and, at first, I thought that Friday was a good candidate but then things changed and rain was in the forecast.  Since I had nothing going on Thursday, it became the next choice but the most recent weather update talked about rain.  Last night I made the decision to go today.  It was supposed to be warm, no rain, and no wind so what more could I ask for.

As for the route, I wanted to ride someplace new and Hwy 14 across the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming has been on my list for a while.  Actually, the are two 14s, 14 and 14A.  The A, Alternate, is the one I was interested in as it looked to have the most curves.  I read that it gets closed for the season, sometimes quite early, so I put that at the top on my list.  It runs from Dayton, WY to Lovell, WY and I had to decide which end I would head to.  This didn’t take me long to choose as, also on my list, is the Heart Mountain Internment Center, where thousands of American citizen of Japanese descent were held during WWII.  It is located near Powell, WY and it would make sense to ride there first, check it out, and then head across the Bighorns.  

I hit the road a bit after 9am and took my usual route through the West End, avoiding riding in the city.  This takes me past the Canyon Creek Battle Memorial, a place I stop at frequently.  I quickly realized that I’d over dressed so it made a good place to stop and shed a layer.

A few weeks ago I’d seen an article that someone took on the volunteer task of keeping the site maintained.  You can read it here:


As I pulled in I saw that volunteer, Dave, was there whipping some weeds.  I got his attention and mentioned that I’d seen the article and thanked him for what he was doing.  Then I remembered that I’d done a sketch of the site and had that sketchbook with me so I dug it out of my side case and showed it to him.  He wanted a copy si I placed it in the sun and he dug his phone out and took a shot of it.  Here’s mine:


I headed into Laurel, got on Hwy 212, and took that to Rockvale where I turned south and went past the now very familar towns of Fromberg, Bridger, and Belfry.  It wasn’t long before I crossed the state line into Wyoming.




I turned off onto Hwy 294 which treks through some mighty desolate looking scenery.  Eventually it climbs a plateau and the starkness is replaced by green farmland.  It was quite smoky and I guessed it was coming from the direction of Powell and smelled like field were bing burned.

I turned south on Hwy 14A and it was only a few miles before I arrived at the Heart Mountain WWII National Historic Landmark.  I parked, secured my gear, and went inside.  I paid the senior rate for admission and the docent invited me into their theater where a 14 minute film was just starting.  It was excellent, telling the story of how the people were sent there, what life was like, and the aftermath when they were released.  This was all done through interviews with people who had lived through it.

After the film I check out the exhibits.





The museum is just a small part of the exhibition as on the land above is the site where a small city was built to house the 14,000 inmates.  I didn’t do that walking tour because of time and vowed to return to go through the entire site.  Their web site is: www.heart mountain.org

I snapped a few more photos before I took off.





I stopped for gas in Powell and then headed along Hwy14A through Byron, Lovell, and then across the prairie on my way to the mountains.






When the road headed up the mountain, it got seriously steep and twisty all at the same time.  Sections of the road were warned to be “rough” and that was no lie as for several miles, large sections of the pavement were simply missing.  I was able to navigate around those.  I finally found a spot nearing the top where I could stop for a few photos.

Check out that road!

Look down below.  That’s the road I just came up.


While there, I looked out in the other direction toward the southeast.



Of course, bike photos are required.



I found a survey marking nearby.



When I got to the top, I pulled over to get a photo of this sign that showed what I’d just come up and warnings for those headed down.


And what would a ride be like without being stopped for road construction?


While waiting, why not another photo of the bike?


The next stretch was a long downhill ride into Dayton, WY.  I stopped for some pictures about halfway down.




The twisties into Dayton were great.  I went through that town and then to Ranchester.  I’d already made the decision to take the “Slab,” AKA I-90, back to Billings.  It was getting late the the 2-lane road just follows the slab so, what the heck.  I set the cruise control to 75 and just relaxed.  When I got to Lodge Grass, MT, I pulled off for a snack and water break.


I gassed up in Hardin and the only issue riding from there was that the road heads pretty much due west and right into that late-afternoon sun making vision a challenge.  But I make it back in one piece without incident.

It was a 346.8 mile day.  Here’s the map, however, it shows me taking the 2-lane from Hardin to Billings but I took I-90.





No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 16

May 16, 2024 This was the least happening day of the trip and certainly not that fun.  I suppose that it’s my own fault for the route planni...