Sunday, June 5, 2022

Red Lodge to Beartooth Hwy Closure

June 5, 2022


The weather Monday and Tuesday looks sketchy and since I’ll be out of town starting on Wednesday I had to get out for a ride today.  I took roads that are now well-traveled by me but I never get tired of the scenery.  Since I’ve taken so many pictures on this route in the past, I only stopped for a few today.

I left home about 12:30pm and took Zimmerman/32nd street to King Ave. to Shilo.  I felt something weird in the way the bike handled just as a guy honked at me to let me know that one of my side cases was open.  Yikes!!!  OK, now I remember.  I had closed it and pushed the latch down but didn’t have the key and I forgot to lock it when I took off.  The bag liner was still there but my cable lock was missing so I turned around and headed back the way I’d come.  There, about a mile back, it was in the street.  I picked it up and it suffered nothing more than a scratch or two.  Geeezzzz, was this a senior moment?

I headed on my way and took River Road toward Highway 212.  This is a nice winding road that I know quite well as I have ridden it so many times plus it’s the course of the Big Sky State Games Half Marathon and I’m the course marker and there’s not a twist nor turn that I haven’t walked, run, or biked on.  I stopped for a photo or two.




If you look closely on that bottom photo, those are the Beartooth Mountains in the distance.

I headed out on Highway 212 and cruised all the way tp Red Lodge.  The town seemed pretty quiet for a Sunday and I was surprised to only see 4-5 motorcycles partied on the main Street.  There was one bit of a surprise though.  The Mexican food joint, Mas Taco, is closed and a sign indicated that something else would open there soon.  That’s too bad as it’s one of the few places I would ever choose to eat at.  I wrote about it on this ride.
 
I continued through town and just as I got to the outskirts I saw the sign that indicated that Beartooth Highway was closed 12 miles ahead.  I guess it was worth it to drive that far.

Sure enough, the gate was closed.  The parking area had a half-dozen vehicles in it, obviously belonging to bicyclists by the racks on the them.  

I stopped and was backing up my bike to park it and I heard a Harley that had been behind me pull up.  I glanced over at him just as he was trying to back it up when he tumbled off it and dropped the bike.  I hopped off and joined a couple bicyclists to help him pick it up.  That’s got to be embarrassing.  No crash bars on the bike but I think his leather saddlebags helps prevent any damage.

I took a couple of photos but none of the Harley.  I wouldn’t do that to another rider.




I cruised back to Red Lodge and stopped at the Candy Emporium.  They usually have a licorice ball, hard candy that I really like but, also, they didn’t have them today but I picked up a couple handfuls of other stuff.  I’m not a big candy eater but like to have some on hand if I get the craving.

I walked back to the bike and messed with my phone a bit because my music had stopped playing.  I couldn’t figure it out.  I’ll rant about that elsewhere.  Here’s the bike parked in Red Lodge.



In that bottom photo, if you zoom in a look at that hillside in the background, you can see the concrete remains of the chromium mills.  You can learn more about them here on Atlas Obscura.

I went through Bearcreek and headed north when I got to Belfry.  When I got to Bridger, I cruised the west side of town a bit to find the other end of the runway I saw just the other day.  I did and it’s not photo-worthy.

The sky was darkening so I didn’t waste any time heading to Laurel.  I picked up a few raindrops along the way.  When I got to Laurel I pulled in to their Riverside Park and grabbed this shot of the cloud I was trying to outrun.


I grabbed the Interstate to put some distance between me and the storm.  I stopped for gas as is my habit at the end of a ride so it’s ready to go the next time.


It’s $4.49/gallon here for the regular that I run in the bike.

It was a 170-mile day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Day 15

May 15, 2024 All good visits have to come to and end and so has my stay with my son and his girlfriend in Pittsburgh.  She’s off to work and...