Friday, August 13, 2021

Day 4 - to South Kankakee, Illinois

August 12, 2021

I got a bit of a late start, leaving Lake City at 9:15am but 2 miles into the ride the navigation tool on my phone directed me to turn left and I rode a pretty awesome route with lots of twists and turns through some great scenery.

When I initially looked at the route that Google maps had suggested, I thought I’d be crossing the Mississippi River at La Crosse, WI but, for some unknown reason, I was routed south through small country roads that were really fun.  One road was pretty narrow and, luckily, I was the only out there to today.

Sometime around noon I spotted a Subway and decided to pull in for lunch.  I noticed that all the cars in the lot had Iowa plates.  Huh?  I got out the app and sure enough I was in Iowa.  I guess there was some traffic issue and the rerouting was supposed to get me around it.

My goal for the day was to make it to either Kankakee, Illinois or Monticello, Indiana.  Since I had spent a bit more time cruising some great twisties, I recalculated and decided to just go the Kankakee and stop at the KOA south of the city.  This new route took me through Dubuque, and not the best part of town, but it got me across the Mississippi River and away from that city.

The rest of the day was all about logging miles on country roads past miles and miles of corn with the occasional patch of soybeans.  The lack of traffic is a wonderful thing and the variety of roads the nav tool puts me on keeps it interesting.  I can’t see the map since my phone is in my tank bag so I am just relying on the voice directions.  Sometimes I wonder “Are you kidding?  This is shorter than some other way?  Wasn’t I already of this road?”  But is adds to the fun.







I took a break in front of this building.  Here’s the road ahead that the nav tool selected.


Just as it started getting dark I arrived at the campground.  I was the only tent camper so I had the back area pretty much to myself.  I got the tent set up, cooked a quick meal, dealt with the mosquitoes, and called it a day.


429 miles.



No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Trip 1 - Table of Contents

Table of Contents Day 1 - Billings to Faith, SD Day 2 - Faith to Blue Earth, MN Day 3 - Blue Earth to Illiniwek Force Reserve, Hampton, IL D...