Friday, August 20, 2021

Day 12 - to Hanover, Maine

August 20, 2021

We were camping next to the Down East Sunrise Trail system which is miles and miles of multi-use trails, labeled for ATVs and snowmobiles but anything can go.  I decided to get out and run the trails in the fog and light drizzle.  I got in about 3.5 miles and came back soaking wet.  


The course.


After a cool down, I grabbed a shower that that felt great.

While things stayed mostly dry in my tent, the rain fly was wet so taking down the tent and rolling it all up made for some sloppy packing.  I put all my wet stuff in a separate stuff bag and hoped that tonight’s site would allow some drying to take place.

We got on the road around 9am and headed toward Bar Harbor.  The road was uninteresting and we started picking up more traffic that eventually transitioned into congestion.  We made our way to the Bar Harbor waterfront, took a few pictures and got the heck out of there.  For me, touristy places like this have not just no interest, but a negative interest.  




What we really wanted to do was to drive the loop in Acadia National Park so we headed over to the entrance, just a few miles away.  I have a senior pass to national parks and it gets two motorcycles in for free.  We drove the loop, stopping for the occasional pictures.  The place is pretty amazing.  Dan did shoot pictures of me while we were riding, something I lack the skill set to accomplish.










After the park we rode to Bangor, ME and Dan used an app to find a place for lunch: 2 Feet Brewing.  What an excellent little find.  Both the beers and the menu selections were eclectic.




Dan had the maple coffee blonde and had to choose between the on tap version or the slushy version.  He went with the former.  I couldn’t resist tryin the absinthe IPA.  The server verified that I liked black licorice, which I do, and it was great.  The hops and the licorice competed for domination, a battle that I sincerely enjoyed.

For food, I went with the vegetarian enchiladas which were some of the best I’ve had.  Dan did the cold Thai noodles and the corn chowder, both of which got a thumbs up.

Here’s the place inside.


And here’s the outside.


We also had to check out the latest growth business in Maine.


We had to go through two layers of ID checks before they would let us in.  The nice young lady at the desk did notice the veterans endorsement on my Montana license and told me that they give a 10% discount to veterans.  Good to know.  We went into the store area and I’ll have to say that not only didn’t I engage in commerce there, I didn’t know what anything was.  It’s way different from 40-years ago when you’d get a baggie of goods and a pack of rolling papers.

We got about 10 miles down the road and I realized that I didn’t have my glasses on.  I have to take them off when I pull my helmet on and I’d forgotten to put them on the last last time I’d donned it.  Over the intercom I told Dan that I needed to pull over.  When I looked behind me between my wet bag and my sleeping bag, there they were.  Amazing piece of luck.

The rest of the day was just racking up miles.  

Somewhere, late along the way, we came around a curve and I told Dan, who was behind me, that it was a great photo opp.  He got out his iPhone and took this shot.




About 6:15 we pulled into a Walmart parking out and checked the map for camping options.  There was a place, Stoneybrook Resort just 15 miles up the road so we went there.   Yes, they had a tent site and it was right on the river.  And our luck, being what it was, they also had a store stocked with a good variety of local beers.

Getting the site set up involved unpacking all the wet stuff and hanging it up in hopes that it will dry by the morning.  I sat down to a beer and the iPad to write this blog entry and Dan got our dinner started.  A pretty good day.


A 260 mile day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The 2024 PNW Ride - Day 10

September 20, 2024 I did a short hike after I got up to loosen things up but really laid around and read, taking my time as I was in no hurr...