Thursday, June 3, 2021

Beartooth Highway, again

June 1, 2021

My son, Dan, decided to stay a day so we decided to grab a ride together.  THE ride to do is the Beartooth Highway and I wanted to take him on the same route I did 2 days previously that goes through Bearcreek.  This would also give me a chance to shoot some photos at the Smith Mine which I hadn't done last Sunday.

We did need to make sure we were properly nourished so we had lunch at our favorite Billings place, Rockets Burritos.  We are both fans of the Thai and his mom had the hummus.  Great food.

We got on the road about 1 pm and headed out on River Road along the Yellowstone River to get us to Laurel.  This road is nice and curvy, 2-lanes, and very little traffic.  It is 6 miles long, a distance I can verify since it's the out and back half marathon course used for our annual State Games and my wife and I are the ones who mark it each year.

In Laurel we headed southwest on Highways 212 and 310 to Rockvale where they separate and we follow 310 south.  We passed through Fromberg and Bridger, following Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone River to the turn off for Highway 72 to Belfry.  In Belfry we turn west on Highway 308 for the 15 mile ride to Red Lodge.  It's another 2-lane road less traveled and highly recommended as way to get to Red Lodge without the tourist traffic.

We stopped outside the Bearcreek Saloon, home of their famous pig races.  They were closed which disappointed a couple tourists who stopped by while we were there.



From Bearcreek it's only a few miles to the remains of the Smith Mine Disaster.  Some signage explains the history of the mine and what occurred in 1943 that resulted in 74 deaths.  The remaining buildings are off limits and occupied only by the wandered herd of cattle.





Of course, no stop is complete without pictures of the motorcycles.




Dan continued in the lead as we headed over the hills to Red Lodge.  A quick left turn there put us back on Highway 212, the Beartooth Highway, and we headed south out of town and began the climb to the top.  The first part of the ride is through a forested area following Rock Creek but eventually the switchbacks start and it's a steady climb of 8 miles or so to the Vista Point.  Some years ago there was a foot race here where you had to run to the top and there is nothing but uphill after uphill.  I always wanted to do that one but it conflicted with other things.  Nothing like uphill in decreasing oxygen to make for a challenge.

We arrived at Vista Point about 5:30pm and stopped for some photos.  Unlike the crowds I saw here 2 days ago, we were pretty much alone.  



Dan wanted to get a better photo with his bike and the background and moved it closer to the wall.



There are views here that are simply not to be missed.



Although it was relatively late in the day, it does stay light later so we didn't feel like we were in a hurry as we continued on up the next set of twisty roads on the way to Beartooth Pass.  Once we got above the tree line, pretty much everything was covered in snow but the air temperature indicator of my FJR told me it was in the mid-50s.  I was still wearing my summer gloves and hadn't felt the need to put my thermal liner in my jacket although the grip heaters were nice.

We arrived at the pass and were the only ones there until a young guy in a Jeep with Nebraska plates showed up.  I guess he was trying to impress his girlfriend as he turned off the road and headed into the snow where he quickly sank, burying himself above his front axle.


He got out and, without gloves, started trying to dig himself out.  Dan and I looked at each other and did the eye rolls and considered what a great video it would make with two motorcycles pulling him out of the snow.  About then a truck comes by, assesses the situation, and pulls over.  The kid in the Jeep had a tow rope so this might not have been his first rodeo.  They got him hooked up and quickly back on solid ground.


I talked to one of the passengers of the truck and learned they were on a day trip with relatives who live in the area.  I asked where he was from and he said "Tustin, California" as if I would have never heard of it.  I told him I was from Long Beach, only a few minutes away from Tustin, and had done work at the Marine/Navy Air Base there years ago.  I asked where he was staying here and he said with brother-in-lay, the driver of the truck, and they are in, he forgot the name of the town, but said it was near the entrance to Yellowstone Park "but not the one that all the Californians are moving too."  That got me laughing because he had to be referring to Bozeman which Montanans are calling Boz-Angeles these days.  Anyway, I suggested "Livingston" and he said that's where they were staying.  They, and the Jeep, got on their way and Dan and I finished up taking pictures before continuing on the highway.



The road that continues after the pass may be one of the better parts of the ride.  Very nice curves and, if one dares to take their eyes off the road, spectacular scenery.  I wanted to go as far as the Top of the World store since someone on a forum had asked if it was still there and it would make a good turn-around point so we could head back without having to ride in the dark.  Night riding itself isn't the problem, it's the large mammals one might meet up with on the highways at that time of day.


On the way back up to the pass we stopped for a photo opportunity.  Here's a taste of why this is just one of the best routes out there.






The rest of the ride down the mountain was great and I think we only saw 4-5 other vehicles on the way back to Red Lodge.  I guess there is something to be said for mid-week riding.  Our last stop was to check my phone and get a quick butt-break in Joliet.


Distance was about 225 miles for the day.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

The 2024 PNW Ride - Days 4-6

September 14-16, 2024 These three days were about visiting family here in Sequim, WA and my motorcycle sat, awaiting its next outing.  I sta...