I slept pretty well and didn't have to use the bear spray so that's a good outcome. We all rolled out about the same time, 6:30 or so, and went about whatever routine is our custom. I got water boiling for my breakfast of oatmeal and cocoa.
I finished off the roll of black and white film with this shot.
To develop the film, I first had to wind it back into the film canister while in the camera. Easy. I then had get the film onto a developing reel and into the tank and this has to be done in complete darkness. I improvised a "changing bag" by putting the canister, tank, and reel into my jacket, folding the neck over, and covering all of that with my sleeping bag. I pulled the jacket's arms out and slipped my own arms through then, cuff end first, to where I could manipulate the film and reel. I have loaded over 500 rolls of file in my darkroom in complete darkness so this was a familiar task.
I put the cap on the tank and then went to the picnic table and poured in the developer. I guessed at the time and temperature and I should have added more time as it was cooler out than I thought. I agitated the usual 5 seconds every 30 seconds. After the developer I rinsed with water and then poured in the fixer, agitating 5 seconds every minute. When it was done, I poured out the fixer into its bottle and then did a light rinse with water. I pulled off the cap and examined the negative.
There are on the tin side but looked OK. I placed the reel in the nearby stream for its final was of 20 minutes. While it washed, I packed up.
When it had washed enough, I hung it from a nearby branch with a clothespin, squeegeed it with my fingers, and put another clothespin on the bottom to keep it from curling up.
We finished loading up the bikes and getting ready to go. The last thing I did was to retrieved the now, mostly dry film, roll it up, and put it in my tank bag.
And that's about it. From there we did a quick tour of the upper campground and then headed of to Billings. The weather is great and I set my cruise control to 67 MPH and noticed that the MPG indicator on my dash said I was getting 67 MPG. Very efficient.
We stopped in Bridger for anyone who wanted gas to get gas. A few miles after that I pulled over to grab a photo of my odometer as it turned 58,000 miles. Not bad for 5 years and 4 months of riding.
From there, it was straight to our homes via River Road in Laurel and Zimmerman Trail in Billings. I stopped at my usual Town Pump to top off before heading on the rest of the way.
It was a 125 miles day.








No comments:
Post a Comment